Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Dozen of My Favorite Movies

         What makes some movies stick with you for days, weeks, or make your list of favorite movies?  I saw The Help last night, and while it won’t make my list of my favorite movies it certainly is in my mind yet today, and had a lot to say about racism. I liked it very much.  Although a discussion about best movies can go on forever,  these are my top favorites.
1.  My very favorite movie of all time is Dirty Dancing! I was already a huge fan of Patrick Swayze from the mini-series The North and the South. I had no idea he was a dancer until I saw that movie. I remember seeing the movie and feeling high the whole way home. I wanted to watch it again and again! I was pregnant with Sydney at the time - 1988. I think I dragged everyone I knew to see it in the theater with me, and later watched it every day almost once it came out on VHS tape. In hindsight it was a diversion I used to me to keep from worrying about Sydney’s upcoming birth,  and the possibility of having post-partum depression, like I had after Shelbeys'  birth. I do that when I’m worried about something…create a diversion and a movie has always been a great way to escape for me. If I get mad  I’ve been known to storm out of the house and go to a movie. If one movie doesn’t change my state of mind I’ll go to another and by then I’m ready for sleep for sure.The next day everything is a little clearer, and I am ready to tackle the real world I checked out of a few hours, and a bag of popcorn ago!

2.  My second favorite movie is Planes Trains and Automobiles. I am a huge fan of John Candy; he starred in some great movies, such as The Great Outdoors, and Uncle Buck- but  I watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles almost every Thanksgiving. It is funny yes,  but more than that is a good lesson about prejudging people and  remembering what the holiday season is all about.


            3. Who doesn’t love The Notebook…romance, romance and more romance? Ryan Gosling is my favorite young actor, and he has done many good films. I’m still waiting for him to receive nominations and attention he should get. He was in Lars and the Real Girl, Half Nelson and Blue Valentine just recently. I go to anything he’s in just because he’s in it! Some actors play themselves in every role and Ryan Gosling is a different person in almost all of them.



4.  Parenthood I find so true to life, because it covers all the aspects of parenting that can really wear you down on a daily basis, and yet ends with such poignantcy concerning what life be like if not for all the chaos, and the love children bring.  



5.  I liked both the Father of the Bride I and II. Steve Martin was such a natural for those roles along with Dianne Keating, and I loved the story and I decided at the time I want the house in that movie in my next life!  Oh, and let’s not forget the feel good ending!



6.  Saved has a storyline is one that most of us have witnessed. Sometimes those who profess Christianity the most – seem to need the most saving. I loved this movie!
                                   


7.  Dan in Real Life is a movie I watched more than once, saw more than once in theaters, and laughed every single time! I loved that movie and the piano song about the girl with the pig nose just before the double date,  was hilarious!



8.  The Three Amigos was so funny in a silly kind of way back in the day.  I made Sydney watch that one a few months ago, and she liked it too even if she really didn’t want to admit it! Wow, I’m sounding like a big Steve Martin fan here…. I don’t know if I really am or not, but I have liked a lot of his work for sure!



9.  Step Brothers is the only movie I have on my IPod.  Although I’m not a huge fan of Will Ferrell usually this one was funny and one of my favorites as well.



10. The Hangover was one of the funniest movies I’d seen in years! The dentist was  my favorite character. I didn’t find the Hangover II as funny but still liked it!



11. No Strings Attached was my favorite movie I saw last year. Ashton Kucher played quite the romantic!



12. I really liked much of Mel Gibson’s’ work over the years. His last movie was called The Beaver, and it did a good job of translating how being mentally ill affects both the person suffering with the illness and the family immensely.



My list could go on and on, with but these are the movies that come to my mind without a lot of thought or planning. As you can probably tell,  I don’t like scary movies. I don’t call sitting on the edge of my seat and being startled and tense entertainment! I love romantic “chic flicks” or something humorous.

           Part of living my best life this year, is making time for those two hour escapes at the movies, whether that’s at the theater, complete with the 1000 calorie popcorn, or in my living room under the ceiling fan and my electric throw. For those two hours, I lose myself in another life, in another time,  and have some mental rest and relaxation.

     So how about you too pull out a good movie, and plan some rest and relaxation, one of these nights? Everybody needs some down time. 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment